DIY Projects for Lastolite EzyBox Professional
8 oz containers
Cross Section Circular
Plastic - PP
89mm Neck Size
Neck type is GCMI 400
I had initially planned on making something out of sheet metal, but by luck I happened on some cosmetic storage jars that were a perfect fit.
After a few attempts, I ended up with my Mark II version of a DIY adapter ring for my modifiers. This allowed me to set my Quadras directly into the modifiers without any brackets. Both the Lastolite Ezybox and my Cameron Beauty Dish uses the nearly identical speed ring bracket.
Using a band saw, I carefully cut the bottom of the jars off, and then tracing and measuring against the Quadra heads. I cut out the bayonet notches using a Dremel™ zip cutter bit. Flame polished it with a propane torch to take off most of the fraying.
My earlier version worked very well, but I was a little concerned about the plastic bayonet fittings not being strong enough to hold the heads secure enough. So in this version I put a safety lock onto it made from the excess bottle material and a quick set rivet. Definitely no issues with security now.
By sheer chance, the bottle fit the speed ring bracket perfectly. In fact it also threaded in nicely, and the lid actually worked very well as a tension/retaining ring. I cut a hole out of the top of the lid and left the outer ring to act as a tension ring.
The quadra fits perfectly into the bracket without any major issues.
The retaining ring does surround the strobe bulb slightly, however it doesn't appear to affect it's performance. In fact when the flash head fires, the white plastic does light up nicely (maybe 2 stops loss). The light coming from the back is very minimal and does not cause any major spill or leak (I'm trying to find a black version of these jars now).
|The kit together. There's no stress on the bracket or |
the adapter as all it holds is the Quadra in place.
I saved easily hundreds of dollars with this DIY so it's certainly one of the more worthwhile DIY projects I undertook and I'm very happy with the OEM look of it. If I come across black jars, I will replace these with those, but for now, this project worked out very well for my purposes.
Post a Comment